School for Advanced Studies
Gifted/Talented Programs at Topeka Charter SAS
Topeka's Gifted/Talented programs create high end learning opportunities which allow students to flourish in stimulating academic and social environments, as well as designing challenging educational opportunities. The Advanced Studies Program has been implemented to meet the needs of gifted and talented students throughout the Los Angeles Unified School District. It establishes an articulated program at the elementary school, middle school, and senior high school levels. The Advanced Studies Program is designed to expand student assessment and identification and to offer a differentiated instructional program. Gifted learners perform at remarkably high levels when assessed in comparison with others of their age/grade peers. Highly able learners should receive careful attention and differentiated program planning to ensure that their knowledge and skills are extended. Exceedingly high numbers of gifted and potentially gifted students in the District have resulted in a critical need to expand options for appropriate instructional programs to match their levels of learning.
Our Program Features (Differentiated Instruction)
- Accelerated or advanced content
- More complex understandings of generalizations, principles, theories, and the structure of the content area
- Abstract concepts and thought processes and/or skills
- Level and type of resources used to obtain information, acquire skills, and develop products
- Appropriation of longer/shorter time span for learning
- Generating new information and/or products
- Transfer of learning to new/different disciplines, situations
- Development of personal growth and sophistication in attitudes, appreciations, feelings, intuition
- Independence of thought and study
Topeka Charter SAS is an LAUSD Affiliated Charter school. As an existing Affiliated charter school, admission preference will be given to pupils who reside within the attendance area. All others who wish to attend are welcome to apply by way of a Charter Lottery Application. If the number of pupils who wish to attend our charter school exceeds the school's capacity, attendance is determined by a public random drawing.
*ALL Topeka Charter SAS teachers are GATE/Gifted trained with at least 16 hours of GATE/Gifted Instruction each school year.
SAS & Gate/Gifted Identification
SAS is available to LAUSD students in grades K-12 who meet ONE OF THREE criteria. The teacher and principal of the school the student is currently attending are responsible for determining if the student meets one of these criteria AND must maintain records of supporting evidence at the school site (subject to audits).
Applicants must meet one of three eligibility criteria:
- Students identified as gifted/talented in LAUSD in the Intellectual, High Achievement, Specific Academic, Creative, or Leadership Ability Category.
- Students who scored in the Standard Exceeded range on the SBAC assessment or have TOTAL national scores of 85% or above on a District-approved standardized achievement test (e.g., OLSAT-8) in required areas (most recent year only).
- Students who demonstrate mastery of ALL FOUR of the critical-thinking and problem-solving skills in their primary language (must check "yes" for all four skills for the student to qualify with this criterion.
- Explain meanings or relationships among facts, information or concepts that demonstrate depth and complexity.
- Formulate new ideas or solutions and elaborate on the information.
- Use alternative methods in approaching new or unfamiliar mathematical problems.
- Use extensive vocabulary easily and accurately to express creative ideas.
Applicants verified through the four critical-thinking and problem-solving skills must also demonstrate the ability or strong potential to work two years above grade level in academic subjects.
For more information on our SAS program and GATE/Gifted Identification, please contact our SAS Coordinator at 818-886-2266.
Address: 9815 Topeka Drive, Northridge, CA 91324
Office Hours (M-F):
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM